Thursday, April 9, 2009

Lucky day in D.C.

Hubby and I went to D.C. this past weekend to see the Cherry Blossoms.  It was their peak weekend for blooming.  They were GORGEOUS!  I put some pictures up on my other blog.  But we just had the best luck for some reason that day.  

Before leaving the house I happened to remember the two metro tickets we had saved because of the leftover money on them.  I grabbed them and put them in my pocket. 

When we got to the metro station around 10:30 it was packed.  There was a L O N G line of people coming out of the station.  We decided to try to park in the small lot in front of the station before trying the garage.  We had just about finished going up and down the aisles when I saw an open spot.  The ONLY open spot!  SCORE!

We headed up to the station, dreading waiting in that ridiculous line.  Then, I began to wonder if that line was for people waiting to get on the metro or people waiting to buy tickets to get on the metro.  We overheard a cop tell someone else that if they already had tickets they could go right in.  SCORE!

We bypassed the long line and went right in, up the escalator and there was a train waiting and with seats available!  SCORE!

After we got off the train we put the $.35 needed to exit the station onto each card and headed through the turnstiles.  We decided to get cards for back home right then so we could avoid the lines again on the way home.

The rest of the afternoon was pretty normal and after walking A LOT, we were beat and ready to go home around 6 or 7.  We walked back to the station and saw another L O N G line of people.  This station was smaller so the line was for everyone.  The cop there said there was another station four blocks away that was much bigger so we decided to head there.

We must have missed it because we ended up at the station after that one.  It was practically empty and there was a Starbucks right next to it (SCORE!) so we refueled and headed inside.  We got on our train (and got to sit again) and headed home.

When we got back to our station we got in line (a short one) to get through the turnstiles and the person in front of us got their card stuck in it.  Courtney tried to get it out for them but it was down too far.  So they just left it in there.  No one else could put their card in and the turnstile was stuck in the open position.  SCORE!

Now we have two cards that haven’t been used yet for our next trip to D.C.  We plan to go back in a few weeks after it gets a little warmer.  This time we will head to the National Zoo.  I love the zoo and I haven’t been to this one since I went there for a middle school field trip.  Can’t wait!          

No comments: