The old fashioned cloth diapers crossed my mind but they aren't fitted, which can lead to leaks and worse...stains. Yuck. They are definitely affordable (usually around $12 or so for a package of 10 or 12). Plus you would need to buy the plastic pants to go over them. I'm not sure how much they run but they aren't much.
The only other thing I could think of was to find a pattern and make my own. Problem solved! I found a great pattern at Mama Bird's Website. She has a basic pattern to use and instructions on how to make a fitted diaper, an all in one diaper and a pocket diaper. I've only made the fitted diaper (and made one addition of my own) but if I can find the right material (called PUL) I will try the all in one.
I decided I would do a step-by-step post on how I made the diaper but if you want to try to make one, I would go to her website. Her pictures are better. By the way, these pictures are in no way an attempt at photography. I haven't even cracked open those books yet. These pictures, to be quite blunt, suck. My craft room is in my basement and it has awful flourescent lighting. But, enough about that.
The diaper has two layers plus a soaker pad in the middle. I made the inner layer from a Good Will t-shirt ($.99 and I'll get about 4 or 5 diapers from it). The outer layer is flannel (I always check the remnant section for good deals. The remnant I used here cost me less than $2 and I'll get 2 or 3 diapers from it). I folded both fabrics in half and traced the pattern on to the t-shirt.
Next, I cut out the material for the soaker pad. I use 6 strips of flannel. I always save scraps from sewing projects and now it can be put to good use. Also, I check the remnant section for ugly flannel to use. It's cheap and it won't be seen.
This is what the soaker should look like...three layers of flanne on the top and bottom with three layers of batting in the middle.
It obviously isn't even but it doesn't matter. It won't be seen and it's only purpose is to hold piss.
Sewing on the elastic is probably the hardest part of this little project but if I can do it, anyone can. You kind of just stretch and sew at the same time. This is what one finished side looks like.
Now the two layers are sewn together.
I left an opening so that I can turn it inside out. It will be sewn up later.
Now that the velcro is on the diaper is almost finished. I decided to add one little feature though.
I decided to add fold over pockets/tabs/whatever to the tabs of the diaper to protect the velcro while washing. This way it doesn't get fuzzies stuck to it and it doesn't create a chain of diapers in the washer or dryer. First, I lay the tab on a piece of folded over flannel and traced it.
So that's it. It's really not hard. I've made three so far and it usually takes about 45 minutes or so to make a one. Seeing as how I'll probably need about 20-30 of each size (give or take) it's probably good that I start now.
P.S. Please ignore the chipped nail polish. That is the main reason I never get manicures. I'm terrible about taking off the polish once it starts chipping. I got my nails done for Valentine's Day. I'm guessing it'll still be on my nails come St. Patrick's Day.