Well, some of these aren’t so secret but these were the top 10 fertility secrets that my acupuncturist told me about.
- Chart your cycle
If have been trying to get pregnant for awhile and you haven’t charted your cycle then what are you waiting for??? Go to www.fertilityfriend.com and start today. It’s free! While I am not currently charting, I have in the past and I know my cycle is normal. I haven’t charted since my miscarriage so I’m thinking about starting again, just to make sure. One thing she mentioned was that if you notice consistent temperatures below 97.7 could possibly mean a thyroid problem. A website that was recommended was www.stopthethyroidmadness.com.
2. Make sleep a priority
This is one I need to adhere to. I get terrible sleep. Well, actually the sleep itself is fine, it’s just that I don’t get enough of it. She says we should get 9.5 hours each night. Wow. Your room should be dark, meaning no light from cell phones, alarm clocks, windows, etc. She also said you could take 1 tablespoon of Really Raw Honey (that is the name brand) to induce the melatonin/serotonin cycle.
3. Identify and address nutritional deficiencies
The top five she noted were:
- Vitamin D – this is especially true for someone who doesn’t get a period or for people with dark skin.
- Zinc – you may have a deficiency if you have white spots on your fingernails.
- Omega 3 – She recommends fermented cod liver oil capsules and you can get them from www.greenpastures.org.
- Mineral – Switch from table salt to Celtic sea salt but since it isn’t ionized (contains no iodine) you can add granulated sea kelp. I did and you can’t taste the sea kelp.
- Iodine – See above.
4. Eat REAL food
Goodbye delicious Cool Ranch Doritos. I’ll miss you. Oh, sweet Cheetos…what will I do without you?
Seriously though, she said to eat lots of the following:
- Organic veggies and fruit
- Cultured dairy – yogurt and kefir (it’s similar to a yogurt drink but it’s got a tang to it. I make a smoothie with it every morning)
- Fermented foods – Bubby’s (name brand but I’m not sure if I spelled it right) sauerkraut and komboucha (an interesting drink I’ve since tried. It’ll take some getting used to.)
- Full fat dairy
- Healthy fats – butter (preferably from grass fed cows), unheated olive oil, avocados, coconut oil
And of course there are foods to avoid:
- Margarine and butter substitutes
- White flour and white sugar
- Fake foods – tofurkey, “not” dogs
- Soy products
- Processed foods – the good stuff, basically
- Canola and other vegetable oils
- Genetically modified foods – mostly corn, soy and canola products
5. Use fertility superfoods
- Maca – a root vegetable. Go to www.superorganicfoods.com or www.natural-fertility-info.com. I purchased a bottle of Maca powder and put it in my morning smoothie.
- Royal jelly – you can also find this at www.natural-fertility-info.com
- Cod liver oil – see #3
6. Reduce your exposure to toxins
Get rid of those toxic cleaning products! Even the ones that are “green!” You don’t really need them and they could be causing you harm. Click here to find a TON of wonderful cleaning recipes made from stuff you probably already have.
She also mentioned that scented candles can mess with your hormones and to avoid them or use beeswax or soy candles.
Beauty products were another caution. Lotions, shampoos, make-up, etc can contain carcinogens but you can check your products out at www.cosmeticdatabase.com to see if they are safe or not.
The last toxin she mentioned were non-stick pans. Stick with stainless steel, cast iron or glass.
7. Go to acupuncture
So far so good as far as I’m concerned. I don’t have anything negative to say about it but it’s too early to start raving. I think that this something I will definitely continue though.
8. Use the law of attraction to manifest your greatest desire
I mentioned the “vision board” before. I’m still perfecting mine but it’s definitely coming together. I promise to share pictures soon. Whatever your vision, it should make you feel uplifted when you look at it. She also recommended reading (or watching the movie I didn’t know existed) The Secret by Rhonda Byrne.
I thought it was about new age mumbo jumbo but I might have to give it a read.
9. Create room in your life for a baby NOW
Un-busy (yeah, I know it’s not a real word) your work schedule, solve the problems you have in your marriage, etc. Do it all now, before there is a baby in the picture.
10. Focus on healthy first, then pregnancy
That is a tough pill to take but it’s definitely true. She mentioned that 85% of all diseases originate from stress.
So that’s it. These are what I’ve learned and I’m passing them on to you, dear friends. Use them. Learn from them. And hopefully they will help you as I am hoping they will help me.