Friday, June 25, 2010

Verdict

We have been sentenced to IVF.

I called my nurse yesterday morning to see if my second bloodwork and my husband's semen analysis results had come in. They had. My bloodwork was fine and was given the OK to go ahead with a pregnancy but my husband's semen analysis was not good. Low count, low motility and only 3% were formed correctly. The doctor had made a note that IVF was recommended. We go back for another follow up appointment on Tuesday July 6th at 8:00 am. I'm guessing we'll discuss what the steps are for IVF and what to expect.

All I know is that we can't afford it. They do offer financing but even with that comes monthly payments which would really stretch our already limited funds. On a happier note, I got a promotion at work. I am now the Assistant Director. I don't know what the new pay is but I know it's not going to be too much more than what I'm making now. I am still working my part time job at the baby superstore and I'm hoping to use my paycheck from there (which is really just extra money to put towards bills or to get my hair or nails done) and save it to put towards the IVF since my insurance doesn't cover any of it. Hopefully our appointment on the 6th will ease some of our stress about money. Probably not but a girl can hope, can't she?

4 comments:

hollyli said...

Oh Kate, I am sorry that the news came back as IVF. I hope the appointment on the 6th goes well for you and there will be good financing for you and Courtney. Will they let you at least try IUI once? Praying and hoping that you'll get your bundle of joy really really really soon! Hugs and loves, H

Brooke said...

I am sorry as well Kate. Why won't they left you all do IUI...they still have to extract the sperm from his semen but instead of you giving up eggs, they will just inject them into you. (a little cheaper than IVF) Good luck at the appt. YAY for getting a promotion!

jill said...

I'm sorry :( I know what you mean about not being able to afford IVF. When I got my first quote for that I was floored and I even knew approximately how much it would be in advance. I'm curious too - any idea why they can't do an IUI? Also, did they say anything about vitamins or something to try and improve his count?

Congrats on the promotion! :)

Kris said...

Hi Kate,

I'm sorry to hear that IVF is the only option. I don't know if you remember, but I had to go through that. DH had the same problem your DH has and then there were issues with me. Cost aside, I'll have you know that it only took one cycle. So there is hope. I know what you mean about it being so expensive. This first cycle was covered by insurance, but when we try for another (which we will) it will be out of our own pocket. Still, having been through it I will say that it's worth every penny and any sacrifice made. Feel free to chat with me if you have any questions or would just like to vent. Hugs.